So I made this.
This post will be a quick one, because 2 hours is up and it's back. to. the. library. again.
Back to the human brain...
Sultana and Beluga Lentil Salad with Cumin Caramelised Veg
- 3/4 cup beluga lentils, rinsed
- 1 1/2 cups water + 1 veggie stock cup (or just use 1 1/2 cups veg stock)
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 cup sultanas
- 1/4 cup of pitted olives, sliced
- 1-2 tsp lemon juice
- 1/2 a butternut squash
- 1 small head of cauliflower
- I red onion
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- 3 tbsp rice malt syrup, or other sweetener
- Handful of chopped cilantro, or other greens.
- sesame seeds
- Pitta Bread and Hummus, to serve
In a pot, bring the lentils and stock to a boil. Reduce the heat at let it simmer for about 25 minutes, or until all the water is absorbed and the lentils are cooked, but still have a good bite to them. As the lentils, cook, cube the squash, thinly slice the red onion and cut the cauliflower into small florets. Preheat the oven to 200C and line a baking tray. Toss all the veg on the tray with the cumin seeds and syrup, mixing it around with your hands so everything is well coated. Bake this for 20 minutes, or until all the veggie are tender and fragrant.
When the lentils are done, stir in the cumin, paprika, olives, sultanas and lemon juice. Add in the roasted veggies and mix well. Garnish with cilantro, and sesame seeds if desired. Serve with toasted pita bread and hummus.